- Submit an Online Loan Application. When you submit your application, you will receive a preliminary Interest Rate Notice (PIRN) that provides term and rate information. If you have a cosigner, please ensure they complete their part of the application in a timely manner.
- Apply for membership, if you are not an existing HUECU member. This step must be completed in order to advance your application. Click here to join HUECU.
Due to the cooperative banking structure of credit unions, you must be an HUECU member to obtain a loan. Please visit huecu.org/membership to learn about membership, and to submit an online application. Pay close attention to notifications from HUECU in case we need more information for your account. Applications take 2-3 business days to process.
- Upload Supporting Documentation. This includes a copy of your government issued photo ID and income documentation (if applicable), and may include other requested documents. Please check your online account for specific documentation requirements.
- Configure your Loan. Once all provided documentation has been processed, you will receive an e-mail instructing you to log into your online account to select your repayment options. You will have the option to select Full Deferment, which means you will not be required to make payments while you’re enrolled or during your grace period, or Interest Only, which means you will be billed and required to pay the accrued interest on your loan each month while you’re enrolled, and during your grace period. Your loan documents will be generated for signature after you make your selection.
- Sign your Loan Documents. Your Approval Disclosure, Promissory Note and Self-Certification Form (borrower only) will be generated for signature for you and your cosigner (if applicable) after you configure your loan. Signing and submitting documents electronically will expedite the loan process.
- School Certification. Once your application is finalized, we will send a request for the school to certify the loan and set the disbursement date(s). The school will review the requested amount, and determine eligibility based upon your cost of attendance, and other forms of financial aid you may be receiving.
- Review your Final Disclosure, which includes the final terms of your loan. You will receive a notification when your disclosure is ready for review. You will have the option to waive your Final Disclosure Receipt period, which may expedite your loan disbursement.
- Loan Disbursement. Funds will be sent directly to your school. Refunds and changes to loan amounts can be requested through the Financial Aid office.
Note: If you are unable to sign your documents electronically, you may sign your documents at a credit union branch by scheduling an appointment, or in the presence of a U.S. notary. Electronic copies will be accepted, and should be uploaded to your account for processing. If your documents are notarized in-person, the originals must be mailed to the credit union to finalize your loan. One notary seal is required with proper acknowledgement of each document and signature.
Signed and notarized loan documents should be mailed to:
Harvard University Employees Credit Union
P.O. Box 382609
Cambridge, MA 02238-2609