Lower your interest rate and monthly payments when you refinance or consolidate your student loans.
Do you have over $5,000 in student loan debt? You may be able to save money by refinancing your federal and private student loans at HUECU. Whether you are looking to lower your payments, reduce your interest rate, or just consolidate your loans into one monthly bill, refinancing may be a good option.
To find out what your rates and terms would be, complete our quick online application.
* A submitted application does not commit you to borrowing the loan.
- Variable rates
- as low as Prime
- 5, 10, and 15 year repayment term options
- Fixed rates
- as low as 4.50% APR1
- 5 and 10 year repayment term options
- Loans starting at $5,000
- 0.25% interest rate reduction with automatic payments
- 0.25% interest rate reduction with a qualifying relationship2
- No application, origination or disbursement fees
- No prepayment penalty
- Potential for a better interest rate
- May be able to lower your monthly payments
- One convenient monthly payment for all your student loans
- 0.25% interest rate reduction for automatic recurring payments, automatically applied after first payment cleared.
- 0.25% interest rate reduction for qualifying relationships, applied after the loan is disbursed. Contact us to receive the benefit.
- You may be eligible to refinance if:
- You are a U.S. citizen/national or permanent resident with a Social Security Number
- You are no longer a full-time student
- You have one or more existing student loans
- You meet HUECU credit requirements
- Private and federal graduate and undergraduate student loans are eligible for refinancing
What is student loan refinancing?
Student loan refinancing gives you the ability to refinance one or more federal and private student loans into a single loan with new terms, including a new interest rate, monthly payment amount or repayment length. Even if you have previously consolidated or refinanced your student loans, you may be able to lower your interest rate and/or your monthly payment by refinancing.
How does student loan refinancing work?
- Complete the application by using the apply now button above
- Submit required documentation
- Current student loan statement(s), which includes payoff amount
- Proof of identification, drivers license or government issued ID
- We pay off your current student loans
- You make payments to UAS, the HUECU Refinance Student Loan servicer, for your new student loan
Should I refinance my Federal Student Loans?
Whether to refinance your student loans is a personal decision, here’s what to consider:
- Refinancing allows you to organize your finances with one convenient payment
- You could be eligible for a lower interest rate, reducing your total cost over the long-term
- You can extend your repayment term to reduce your monthly payment
If you have federal student loans:
- Federal loans offer income-based repayment programs which could be beneficial if your income might fluctuate
- Federal loans have the potential to be forgiven or have a portion forgiven if the borrower is working in a certain field for a certain amount of time, such as teachers in low-income schools and designated public servants
- Federal loans offer forbearance and deferment time in the event of reenrollment or financial hardship
- Federal loans are forgiven if the borrower passes away or becomes disabled
Before finalizing the loan documents, we encourage you to clearly understand the rates and terms of your current lender, establish what you wish to accomplish by refinancing, and know what your new refinanced rate and term are.
What loans are eligible for refinancing?
When refinancing your student loans, you can include any student loan debt used for financing your education. You cannot include any other debt (for example, credit card or mortgage), even if it was used to pay educational expenses. If you previously consolidated your student loans into a single loan, you may still be able to refinance your debt.
Our application has a list of the most common loan servicers; however, you may submit loans for servicers not listed. When we review your application, we will determine whether loans from that servicer may be refinanced.
1. Annual Percentage Rate (APR). Variable rate based on Prime Index as published in the Wall Street Journal. Variable rate loans range from Prime -0.01% to Prime + 4.49% based on credit worthiness. Fixed rate loans range 5.49% to 9.49% based on credit worthiness. The rates are shown include all relationship discounts. Current prime rate is 5.25%.
2. A qualifying relationship is considered an active Crimson Checking account which has been opened for a minimum of 12 months, a mortgage, home equity line of credit or auto loan.
Subject to credit approval.